Latvia has an extension of temporary protection for Ukrainians until the end of 2023. The government approved the initiative on June 1, 2023. Dmytro Lubinets, the Ukrainian parliament’s commissioner for human rights, reported.
Previously, this program was available until June 30, 2023. Now, the protection has been extended until the end of 2023.
Thus, Ukrainians will be provided with free accommodation and meals for the first 120 days of their stay in the country, regardless of their financial capacity.
Only certain categories of Ukrainians are eligible for free housing after 120 days, namely:
- people with disabilities and people who care for them;
- persons of retirement age;
- those who study full-time in Latvia at a preschool, primary, general secondary, or vocational secondary school or are full-time students at a higher education institution;
- women on maternity leave;
- one of the child’s parents during the period of care.