Excessive exposure to sensitive news can have a detrimental effect on one’s health. It is important to be mindful of what, where, and how much news you consume.
The All-Ukrainian Mental Health Program ‘How are you?’ developed tips for healthy media consumption at the initiative of First Lady Olena Zelenska. Here are some of the tips:
– Use only official and verified sources of information. It is important to regularly analyze these sources, as even well-known telegram channels can change ownership and become a platform for spreading hostile narratives.
– Be aware of how the media affects your emotional state. Avoid consuming news that adds to your stress levels or makes you feel uncomfortable or exhausted.
– You should be especially cautious about the news of tragedies if you or your family members have had similar traumatic experiences. Watching such news can trigger unwanted emotions.
– Limit your screen time. This will free up time for more useful activities and improve your sleep and motivation to complete other tasks.
– Avoid negative comments on social media. Active commenting can harm your well-being by increasing anxiety, reducing self-esteem, decreasing concentration, and demotivating you.
Organize ‘digital detox’ days and avoid using gadgets altogether during this time. Additionally, try to refrain from using your smartphone or laptop for at least an hour before bedtime.