When you can’t be with your relative, the telephone or Internet can be helpful. Supporting them through these means of communication will be beneficial if some rules of communication are followed.
The tips were developed as part of the All-Ukrainian Mental Health Program “How are you?” at the initiative of First Lady Olena Zelenska. Here are some of them:
– First, ask if your conversation partner is comfortable, especially if the topic is sensitive or personal.
– It is important to hear every word. Therefore, avoid noisy environments or outside conversations that can be distracting.
– If you don’t understand something, don’t hesitate to ask questions or seek clarification.
– If possible, suggest a video call. This will help you better understand the emotions.
– Do not interrupt the other person. Wait until they have finished their thought before responding.
– If the person is experiencing extreme stress, engage in a dialogue with them until they have calmed down.
Remember, don’t advise until you’ve listened to the person’s full story. Sometimes, the person you’re speaking with has just expressed themselves and feels better.