The Deputy Prime Minister explained that the corresponding procedure is provided in the draft bill "On Indigenous Peoples", which the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky submitted to the Verkhovna Rada (registration number 5506) on May 18th, 2021.
The Deputy Prime Minister Oleksii Reznikov shall deliver a report on the draft bill to the Verkhovna Rada in accordance to the submission from the President of Ukraine.
"The Ministry for Reintegration of TOT, the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, the Mission of the President of Ukraine in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the Office of the President have been working on this draft bill since last August. This is a great job with an incredible result. I am confident that the Verkhovna Rada with the absolute majority will support the draft bill, because its objective is to protect the rights of indigenous peoples, inter alia the Crimean Tatars. The task of the state is to assist the comprehensive development of the language, culture and preservation of the identity of the people, who currently cannot fully develop in their historic homeland - in Crimea," said the Deputy Prime Minister.
He reported that other important articles of the document provide that the state will be able to support the mass media, in which the representations of indigenous peoples own at least 51% of the authorized capital and/or the right to vote, if they broadcast at least 50% in indigenous languages of Ukraine or devote at least 50% of broadcasting to the realization of the rights of indigenous peoples.
In general, the draft bill provides for:
1) definition of the concept of the indigenous peoples of Ukraine;
2) legal personality of the indigenous peoples of Ukraine;
3) fundamental rights of indigenous peoples of Ukraine;
4) cultural rights of the indigenous peoples of Ukraine;
5) educational and linguistic rights of the indigenous peoples of Ukraine;
6) right of indigenous peoples of Ukraine to sustainable development;
7) information rights of indigenous peoples of Ukraine;
8) legal status of representative bodies;
9) resource provision of representative bodies;
10) international representation of the indigenous peoples of Ukraine.
Oleksii Reznikov recalled that the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, at its meeting on April 7th, 2021 has also approved a vital document "Concept of the development of the Crimean Tatar Language" developed by the Ministry for Reintegration of TOT together with the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, specialized scientific and educational institutions, non-governmental organizations and experts, including those that reside in the temporarily occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol city.
In addition, on May 18th, 2021, the Ministry for Reintegration of TOT signed the agreement on financing the Crimean Tatar children's channel "Lyale".